NEWS

Tot makes progress after swallowing a battery that leaked

12/21/2012 10:21 EST | Updated 02/20/2013 05:12 EST
Khyler Thompson, the youngster who suffered burns after swallowing a small battery, is improving but faces a long road to recovery, his family says.

Khyler, now 15-months-old, recently returned home from an extended stay in hospital in Calgary.

"That was our goal with the doctors in Calgary," Kayla Thompson, his mother, told CBC News Thursday. "I said please let us be home by Christmas."

In October, Khyler swallowed a battery the size of a coin.

The battery contents leaked and caused extensive internal damage.

In Calgary, Khyler has undergone a number of surgeries and had a tube inserted to aid with breathing.

Doctors also discovered his vocal chords were paralyzed.

However he has been improving and there is hope the damage will not be permanent.

"Every day is another day and he is getting better and better," Thompson said.

For now, the youngster is being fed through a tube in his stomach.

While his progress has been good, doctors said it could be a full year before they know if Khyler will be able to eat and speak on his own.

Until then, monitoring his condition is important.

"It's just watching him 24/7," Thompson said. "There are so many things that could go wrong if he is by himself for a minute."

Also to come are monthly check ups with specialists in Calgary and another surgery is expected in 2013.

The family is getting assistance for some of the costs of getting to Calgary from the Kinsmen foundation.

The accident happened in early October when Khyler swallowed a coin-sized battery that was part of a remote control unit.

His parents, Kayla and Donnie, realized something was wrong when he had trouble breathing.

An X- ray revealed what had happened.

MORE:cbcNews