NEWS

Apartment fire leaves 30 homeless

12/23/2012 10:58 EST | Updated 02/22/2013 05:12 EST
About 30 people have lost their homes after an early morning fire in a Montreal apartment building.

The fire started early this morning at about 4 a.m., after a resident in a basement apartment left something cooking on the stove.

Francis Leduc, Montreal fire department operations chief, said the fire at 1481 Décarie Street spread to all 16 apartment-units of the three-storey building.

"It happens so often … you cook something … and you just fall asleep on the couch," he said.

No one was injured in the fire, but the residents will have to find somewhere else to stay for the holidays.

"It's a sad time of year to happen, but these guys will be taken care of," Leduc said.

Red Cross and Sun Youth volunteers were on the scene to help relocate those without another place to stay.

There were no functioning smoke alarms in the building, which has about $300,000 in damages, according to Leduc.

He warned Montrealers to check their smoke detectors and be careful over the holiday season.

MORE:cbcNews