ALBERTA

Calgary Homeless Man, Norman Voyer, Terribly Burned Trying To Get Warm

02/19/2013 10:02 EST | Updated 04/21/2013 05:12 EDT
Alamy

CALGARY -- A homeless man in Calgary is recovering from second and third-degree burns after a fire he built to get warm set his pants on fire.

Norman Voyer had been living in a makeshift shelter ever since coming to the city a few months ago to find work.

Voyer built the fire last week, but he dozed off and awoke to find his clothing ablaze.

The flames burned through four layers of clothing and there's a chance that the injuries could lead to infection.

Jordan Hamilton, a spokesman for the Calgary Rehab and Drop-In Centre's temporary shelters, says there's also some risk Voyer might lose a leg.

Social workers are trying to arrange temporary housing for Voyer, once he's released from hospital.

Also on HuffPost

Winter Weather