Canadian Rebecca Marino, once one of the top young women's tennis prospects, has decided to step away from tennis, with a report saying that online comments about her and directed at her had affected her emotional well-being in the past couple of years.
Tennis Canada released a statement from Marino on Wednesday, with a conference call planned later in the day.
Marino, 22, recently told the New York Times about the online comments that she says have affected her.
"I have decided to step away from tennis," Marino said in Wednesday's statement. "This was not an easy decision, but there are a number of factors that have led me to this. Factors that are part of our society and that I am more than open to discuss, which I plan to do moving forward, because I know it's part of my growth process."
Marino served notice to a broad audience with a strong effort in 2010 against U.S. player Venus Williams at the U.S. Open, and reached a high of No. 38 in the women's rankings the following year.
Marino took most of 2012 off before returning early this year. She played at the Australian Open and last week in Memphis.
The six-foot player said that among the negative messages online were comments from people who had gambled on her matches.
She appeared to give the impression to the Times that she was ready to move forward, but on Tuesday deleted both her Twitter and Facebook accounts.