STYLE

Axe Body Spray Allergy: Teen Hospitalized After Allergic Reaction

03/21/2013 11:49 EDT | Updated 03/21/2013 12:52 EDT
Getty Images
INDIA - OCTOBER 03: Cans of Axe body spray, made by Hindustan Unilever Ltd., sit for sale on a store shelf in Mumbai, India, on Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2007. Unilever, the owner of more than 400 food brands from Dove soap to Magnum ice-cream bars, said third-quarter profit increased 37 percent as the company sold more household cleaners in Asia and Africa. (Photo by Prashanth Vishwanathan/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

Axe Body Spray has been axed (yeah, we went there) from a Pennsylvania High School after sending a teenager to the E.R. with a severe allergic reaction.

The teen had to be taken to hospital after being exposed to the popular body spray, though it's unclear what exactly caused the reaction.

According to a statement made on the Freedom High School website, the student is recovering well, although the school is requesting that students not wear the Unilever product to class.

"My request to all Freedom Family members is that we take into consideration this student's allergy to Axe Body Spray and refrain from using it as your cologne or fragrance of choice while attending Freedom High School."

That's right: not only does the controversial body spray smell questionable to some, but apparently, it can actually cause physical harm.

The popular product has long been a staple of teenage hygiene, in part due to it's strong, tangy scent that can help mask pubescent odours. It's also proven to be a favourite among teenage males as a result of Unilever's infamous 'Axe Effect' advertising campaign that implies the body spray makes men physically irresistible to women.

Unilever has responded to the incident, telling ABC News that they are "looking into the matter."

What do you think: Should other schools follow suit and ban Axe?

Related: Bad for you beauty treatments you should avoid

Bad-For-You Beauty Treatments