The teen had to be taken to hospital after being exposed to the popular body spray, though it's unclear what exactly caused the reaction.
According to a statement made on the Freedom High School website, the student is recovering well, although the school is requesting that students not wear the Unilever product to class.
"My request to all Freedom Family members is that we take into consideration this student's allergy to Axe Body Spray and refrain from using it as your cologne or fragrance of choice while attending Freedom High School."
That's right: not only does the controversial body spray smell questionable to some, but apparently, it can actually cause physical harm.
The popular product has long been a staple of teenage hygiene, in part due to it's strong, tangy scent that can help mask pubescent odours. It's also proven to be a favourite among teenage males as a result of Unilever's infamous 'Axe Effect' advertising campaign that implies the body spray makes men physically irresistible to women.
Unilever has responded to the incident, telling ABC News that they are "looking into the matter."
What do you think: Should other schools follow suit and ban Axe?Related: Bad for you beauty treatments you should avoid
We've long been concerned about keratin treatments -- also known as Brazilian Straightening treatments. But as of earlier this year, the two biggest manufacturers of the treatment will include a warning about the carcinogenic effects of formaldehyde gas that is emitted when the product is mixed.
Loose solutions like silicone are not approved for injections in humans, and yet this fast-growing treatment that is meant to augment your posterior is regularly conducted at home or by unlicensed people, often known as "shot girls". In a certified surgeon's office, the typical augmentation would be done using the patient's own fat. And though any medical procedure caries its own set of risks, it's obvious that the regulated and controlled process conducted by a licensed physician is a safer bet.
This year's tanning mom was a cautionary tale if there ever was one -- though the majority of tanners obviously don't look quite like her. But even if that tanning-bed session gave you a healthy-looking glow, you're now 29 percent more likely to develop basal-cell carcinomas and 69 percent more likely to get squamous-cell carcinomas -- two types of deadly skin cancer.
It sounds harmless enough: Toothless carp known as "doctor fish" nibble away at the dead skin cells that form unsightly callouses on a person's feet. But a recent analysis of fish slated for spas throughout the U.K. showed they were found to have antibiotic-resistant bacteria such as Vibrio vulnificus, Vibrio cholerae, S. agalactiae and even Streptococcus agalactiae, which can cause pneumonia and other serious infections. That callous-sloughing razor doesn't sound so bad now, does it?
At least one crusader -- a family doctor who runs a student health center in the U.K. -- is out to end the practice of bikini waxing. Dr. Emily Gibson explains that waxing pubic hair creates microtears in skin that, in turn, makes waxers more vulnerable to picking up infections -- either from bacteria that grows in the genital region, or from sexually transmitted disease. “Pubic hair does have a purpose, providing a cushion against friction that can cause skin abrasion and injury, and protection from bacteria," wrote Gibson in MedPage Today. "It is the visible result of adolescent hormones and certainly nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed about.”