NEWS

2nd Canadian Confirmed Killed In Algeria Attack

03/23/2013 08:55 EDT | Updated 05/23/2013 05:12 EDT
AP
Algerian soldiers stand guard at the main entrance of the gas plant in Ain Amenas, during a visit for news media organized by the Algerian authorities, Thursday, Jan. 31, 2013. The Algerian gas plant attacked by militants will soon be partially operational, announced its director on Thursday during a tour on the site for local and international media. Lotfi Benadouda, the director of the Ain Amenas plant, which is jointly run by Algeria's Sonatrach, Britain's BP and Norway's Statoil said one of three gas units was only lightly damaged and would be returned to operation soon. (AP Photo)
The remains of a second Canadian allegedly part of an attack on a gas plant in January have been identified by Algerian authorities, the RCMP has confirmed.

The body was found at the Saharan plant where Algerian special forces clashed with Islamic insurgents who held hostages for four days.

The standoff ended on Jan. 16 when a raid by Algerian forces killed at least 81 people, including at least 48 hostages.

In the aftermath of the attack, Algerian Prime Minister Abdelmalek Sellal said the group of insurgents included two Canadians, as well as fighters from Egypt, Mali, Niger, Mauritania and Tunisia.

Last week, the RCMP confirmed another Canadian's remains had been identified. It's believed the body was also found among those killed at the site of the gas plant.

The Mounties said Saturday they would offer no details on either of the two bodies while their investigation continues.

The Foreign Affairs Department initially couldn't confirm the claim and RCMP investigators were sent to Algiers to follow up.

Canadian intelligence officials have said dozens of Canadians have ventured abroad — or tried to do so — to take part in violent operations.

Also on HuffPost

Algerian Hostage Crisis