04/24/2013 03:31 EDT | Updated 06/24/2013 05:12 EDT

12-hour lockdown ends with arrest in Prince George

A neighbourhood lockdown that kept dozens of Prince George families from their homes on Tuesday afternoon ended 12 hours later with the arrest of a man police described as armed, extremely dangerous, and unpredictable.

At around 3:30 a.m. PT, police entered a home near the intersection of Dezell Drive and Patterson Street and took Robert Lee Milligan, 30, into custody.

Police said Milligan has an extensive history of violent offences and offences involving firearms.

In early April, police said an arrest warrant had been issued Milligan, who had been charged with a number of offences including possession of a prohibited weapon, pointing a firearm, and uttering threats. Police said those charges related to an incident that happened in a home in the 1400 block of Jarvis Street on April 3.

RCMP Cpl. Craig Douglass said that on Tuesday afternoon, police honed in on Milligan's location, several blocks north of Quinson Elementary school.

Believing he might be armed with a gun, police decided to lockdown Quinn Street to Dezell Drive, and Ogilvie Street to Hammond Avenue. The closed area also included Patterson Street and the area's alleyways.

"Police supervisors overseeing this operation made the unusual but necessary decision to close off a residential area encompassing approximately 100 homes. This precaution was taken as a result of public safety concerns," Douglass said.

"Some residents within the area were requested to evacuate their homes due to the close proximity to the residence Milligan was believed to have been in," he said.

At around 10 p.m., police reduced the lockdown area and residents of around 50 homes were allowed to go back.

At around 3:30 a.m., police arrested Milligan, and reported finding firearms in the residence and illicit drugs in his possession. Then at around 5:45 a.m., police issued a statement saying the remaining residents who had been evacuated or kept away could return home.

Milligan remains in custody and is expected to appear in court later Wednesday, where he may face additional charges.