NEWS

4 months after fire, condo residents return

06/04/2013 08:51 EDT | Updated 08/04/2013 05:12 EDT
After a four-month ordeal, 100 condo residents are finally getting back into their homes at 914 Yonge St.

On Jan. 30, smoke filled several floors of the commercial and residential building at Yonge and Davenport.

- Residents, pets flee smoke-filled Yonge St. building.

The fire started when a water main broke, causing the basement to flood. That led to an electrical fire that forced residents to evacuate the building.

Since then, resident Anne Marie Hood has had to live in hotel rooms while repairs were completed.

She returned to her unit for the first time since March to find dead plants and spoiled food.

Calls for compensation

The city and her insurance covered some of her living expenses, but they did not cover everything.

She and other residents are now hoping the city will take responsibility for the water main break and offer compensation. The water main was 100 years old and some feel the city should be responsible.

"I don’t think I've ever experienced such an emotional roller-coaster ride," she told CBC.

Residents weren't the only ones displaced by the fire. A number of pets were removed from an animal clinic located on the building's main floor. Many were staying at the clinic overnight to recover from surgeries. None were hurt in the fire.

Condo residents will meet later this month to discuss next steps in their search for compensation.

City hall officials say anyone who believes they have a claim for damages against the city can submit one.

MORE:cbcNews