06/05/2013 01:59 EDT | Updated 08/05/2013 05:12 EDT

Bosma accused Millard tried to arrange 3rd test drive

Hamilton police confirm a third man was contacted for a test drive of a truck he was selling with the same cellphone that was used to call Tim Bosma the day before he died.

“There was a third test drive initiated by [Dellen] Millard,” said Sgt. Debbie McGreal, spokesperson for Hamilton police.

Millard, 27, is charged with first-degree murder in Bosma's death.

The 32-year-old Bosma disappeared the evening of May 6 after he took two strangers on a test drive in a Dodge Ram 3500 diesel truck he had listed for sale online on Kijiji and AutoTrader. His burned remains were found days later.

Hamilton police Staff Sgt. Matt Kavanagh told media that Millard had contacted a man from the Etobicoke area to take a test drive in a Dodge Ram 3500 diesel truck he was selling prior to Bosma going missing. That man went on a test drive with two men and t told police they were acting suspicious.

"Fortunately for this person, he's a very large individual. I think he would have overpowered the both of them. I think that was his advantage," Kavanagh said at a May press conference.

The third man who was allegedly contacted by Millard lives in the Toronto area, McGreal said. He had a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel truck listed for sale on Kijiji and AutoTrader. He missed the phone call and a test drive was never arranged.

Bosma test drive

A vehicle was spotted following Bosma's truck during the test drive. Hamilton police say that vehicle was a GMC Yukon belonging to Millard. It has been seized by police and is being analyzed for evidence.

Police have said Bosma's remains were "burned beyond recognition."

It has also been reported that a portable incinerator was found on a farm property Millard purchased last July. The machine, known as The Eliminator, is used to cremate livestock, but police said Millard didn't own any animals.

Also facing charges in Bosma's death is Mark Smich, 25, from Oakville, Ont. He was arrested on May 22 and has since been charged with first-degree murder. A third suspect is still being sought by Hamilton police.

Missing Millard acquaintance

At a Toronto police news conference Tuesday, Det. Mike Carbone said police continue to investigate the disappearance of Laura Babcock, who hasn't been seen since last summer. The 23-year-old was romantically linked with Millard, but it was not a traditional dating relationship, said the officer.

"I can confirm at this time that there appears to be phone contact on July 3, 2012, between Laura Babcock and Mr. Dellen Millard," Carbone said. "I cannot comment any further on these specific records as we're attempting to speak to other individuals who have been in contact or have been identified as having contact with Laura."

After Millard's arrest, police took another look at the Babcock case and the suicide of Millard's father, Wayne, last fall. Carbone said the investigation into Wayne Millard's death remains ongoing.