Game 1 of the Stanley Cup final (once feared to be something that would never come to fruition) goes tonight in Chicago with the Blackhawks hosting the Boston Bruins (CBC, CBCSports.ca, 7:30 p.m. ET).
Stay up to date on all the latest news and notes from around the NHL with this list, which will be updated throughout the day:
- "Don't get hit. Because you know he can throw heavy punches." Seems like Andrew Shaw and the Chicago Blackhawks have a game plan around Zdeno Chara. Sidney Crosby wishes you good luck with that.
- Meanwhile, Chicago coach Joel Quenneville had some real talk about the Bruins captain.
- Well, something has to give, right?
- "This series doesn't mean s*** to me." I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's probably not what the NHL was hoping to hear from former Blackhawk and Bruin star Phil Esposito.
- Jaromir Jagr is so old … (How old is he?) Jaromir Jagr is so old, this happened the last time he suited up for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup final.
- Penguins GM Ray Shero announced that the team signed coach Dan Bylsma to a two-year contract extension at a press conference on Wednesday.
- As for the goalie situation in Pittsburgh, Shero gave his answer on whether displaced No. 1 Marc-Andre Fleury will be back.
- Not to be outdone, the NHL's other Pennsylvania-based team picked up the rights to former Islanders captain Mark Streit today.