POLITICS

Court date changed for Nova Scotia politician charged with assault

06/06/2013 04:00 EDT | Updated 08/06/2013 05:12 EDT
HALIFAX - A spokeswoman for Nova Scotia's Public Prosecution Service says the case of former provincial cabinet minister Percy Paris, who is charged with assault and uttering threats, is scheduled in court on Friday.

Chris Hansen says a scheduling conflict resulted in the change from the initial June 18 date.

Hansen says Paris is not expected in court.

The 65-year-old Paris resigned as minister of economic and rural development last month after saying he lost his composure during an incident outside a washroom in the legislature.

Police laid the charges after Liberal member Keith Colwell alleged he was assaulted by the New Democrat politician.