POLITICS

Colorado man accused of kidnapping son jumped the border: official

06/10/2013 05:58 EDT | Updated 08/10/2013 05:12 EDT
WINNIPEG - A Colorado man accused of kidnapping his three-year-old son and fleeing to Canada is back in his home state.

The Canada Border Services Agency said Monty Ray Turner was flown back Monday under escort and handed over to authorities there.

Agency spokesman Lisa White said an investigation has revealed that Turner did not enter Canada at a designated border crossing.

White refused to release further details, so it is still not clear how Turner managed to drive into Canada while there was a warrant out for his arrest.

Turner, 51, is accused of attacking his estranged wife with a stun gun and pepper spray last month and kidnapping the couple's son Luke.

Police found the two the next day at a motel in Brandon, Man., and Turner was ordered deported last Friday.

He was deemed inadmissible to Canada because of the serious charges he faces in the United States, including assault, kidnapping, menacing and violation of a custody order.