NEWS

No charges laid in school's mouth-taping incident

06/14/2013 05:44 EDT | Updated 08/14/2013 05:12 EDT
Halifax Regional Police have decided not to lay charges after concluding their investigation into complaints that an after-school monitor at a Bedford, N.S. school taped students’ mouths shut last month.

An assistant instructor at Bedford South School had been under investigation after allegedly taping shut the mouths of several students. Doug Hadley, a spokesman for the board, said in an interview last month that a second employee may have witnessed the incident.

The incident allegedly happened on Thursday, May 16, during an after school program called Excel.

The police investigation determined “there was no evidence of intent to harm the children and no evidence to suggest it was a malicious act.”

Police also determined that the incident involved masking tape, not duct tape as was originally reported to police.

Parents at Bedford South School complained to officials and alleged 10 to 12 students were involved in the incident during the Excel after-school program. There are 90 kids in the program and seven staff members were working the day the incident took place.

Hadley said in a May interview that the employee identified as being part of the alleged incident had worked for four months with no previous complaints.

On May 24, the school announced that two assistant instructors were no longer employed with the board. Hadley would not reveal whether the workers were fired or whether they quit. He would only say the two were no longer employed by the board.

After news that the two assistant instructors were no longer working for the board, Hadley said the investigation by the Halifax Regional School Board was over.

The police investigation into the incident is now closed.

MORE:cbcNews