BRITISH COLUMBIA

Kamloops Party Rape Suspect Comes Forward

06/28/2013 05:22 EDT | Updated 11/04/2013 08:30 EST
KAMLOOPS, B.C. - Kamloops RCMP say an 18-year-old man has come forward in connection with an alleged sex assault at a bush party earlier this month that was attended by as many as 1,000 high school graduates.

Police say the young man is considered a person of interest and is co-operating with police.

Police say the teen has been interviewed and released without charge as the investigation continues.

More than 10 people have been interviewed in connection to the assault June 18, but police say there are conflicting accounts of the incident, which involved a 17-year-old girl who had become separated from her friends that night.

The girl told police she was approached by someone she didn't know, and was taken into a wooded area where she was sexually assaulted.

The RCMP has said witnesses may have photographs or videos of the incident, and warned people not to post them on the Internet. (CFJC, The Canadian Press)

Also on HuffPost

Rehtaeh Parsons Vigil