POLITICS

Proposals to restart Yarmouth, N.S., ferry service to be made public Friday

07/04/2013 09:37 EDT | Updated 09/03/2013 05:12 EDT
HALIFAX - The deadline to submit business plans for a proposed ferry service based in Yarmouth, N.S., passes today but the provincial government says it won't make the results public until Friday.

A spokeswoman for the premier's office says Graham Steele, minister of economic and rural development and tourism, will be available Friday morning to answer questions about the submitted proposals.

The government had previously extended the deadline for business plans by two weeks.

The government rejected two bids earlier this year, saying neither met the criteria for a viable operation.

The Yarmouth-to-Maine link was discontinued in December 2009 after the provincial government cut its subsidies when it concluded the money-losing business wasn't viable.

The provincial government faced sharp criticism for killing the ferry subsidies and is now offering $21 million over seven years to restart the service.