POLITICS

Niagara teen suffers burn injuries when online recipe causes explosion

07/05/2013 05:18 EDT | Updated 09/04/2013 05:12 EDT
NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE, Ont. - An Ontario teen has been sent to hospital with burn injuries after police say he tried to build a homemade glow-in-the-dark device from an online recipe.

Emergency services responded to a 911 call from a residence in Niagara-on-the-Lake Thursday and found a 16-year-old who had suffered burn injuries to his face and arm.

Police in Niagara Region, Ont., say the recipe called for mixing chlorine and rubbing alcohol and sealing the mixture in a plastic bottle.

Police spokesman Derek Watson says the mixture produced chlorine gas that made the sealed bottle expand rapidly until it exploded, injuring the boy as he held it in a kitchen sink.

Derek Watson says the blast from the brew was so powerful it damaged the sink and granite countertop.

Police say the online recipe may have been intended as a prank and are not treating the incident as criminal.