BRITISH COLUMBIA

Pacific NorthWest LNG applies to National Energy Board for export licence

07/05/2013 01:44 EDT | Updated 09/04/2013 05:12 EDT
VANCOUVER - Pacific NorthWest LNG said Friday it has applied to the National Energy Board (NEB) for a licence to export liquefied natural gas from its proposed terminal in Port Edward, B.C.

The company said it wants to export up to 19.68 million tonnes of LNG per year for 25 years beginning in 2019.

The proposed project will include an initial development of two LNG trains of approximately six million tonnes per annum and a subsequent development of a third train for the same amount.

The Pacific NorthWest LNG project is owned, through various subsidiaries, by the Malaysian oil and gas company Petronas, which has a 90 per cent interest in the project. Japex owns the remaining 10 per cent.

Petronas bought Calgary-based Progress Energy last year in a $6-billion friendly deal.