NEWS

Driver in Burnaby hit-and-run turns herself in

07/11/2013 01:19 EDT | Updated 09/10/2013 05:12 EDT
Burnaby police say the suspect driver in last month's hit-and-run collision that killed 72-year-old cyclist Edward Simpkins has come forward.

"She did the right thing and came in earlier this week after seeing media coverage where police and the family appealed to her to come forward. We are appreciative of her cooperation," Staff Sgt. Major John Buis said in a statement issued on Thursday.

Buis says police have taken possession of the car involved in the collision.

The driver's name has not been released. No charges have been laid.

Edward Simpkins was hit by a vehicle on 13th Avenue near Wright Street at around 8:30 p.m. PT on June 30. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Last week, Simpkins' family made a tearful appeal to the driver, pleading her to come forward.

"We do understand that the driver must have panicked. I understand the need to just get away from things, but it's been a few days now and you must be feeling awful with the guilt," said Janet Atkinson-Grosjean, Simpkins' sister.

"So, please, it's time to say, 'Enough' and come forward. We need you to tell us what happened so we can let Ed go in a dignified manner. Please help us to say goodbye to my brother."

Police released video that shows the suspect vehicle, a dark blue or black late model two-door coupe that enters the frame from left to right. Later, a second vehicle, a lighter-coloured four-door hatchback, possibly grey or brown, is seen approaching but then reverses away from the accident scene.

Buis said police are still seeking the driver of the second vehicle, who they consider to be a key witness.

MORE:cbcNews