'Glee' star Cory Monteith has died, Vancouver police confirmed Saturday night.
The police said that Monteith was found dead in his room on the 21st floor of the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel on Saturday afternoon.
The police are saying that foul play is not suspected. Global's John Daly tweeted that the cause of death may be a possible overdose.
Coroners would not say how the actor died, adding that the cause of death was not immediately obvious. An autopsy is scheduled for Monday.
Monteith had been "dead for several hours when he was discovered," said chief coroner Lisa Lapointe at the news conference.
Police say Monteith checked into the luxury hotel on July 6 and was due to check out on Saturday.
Story continues below slideshow.
Read the full news release from Vancouver police here:
Shortly after noon today the Vancouver Police received a call from the BC Ambulance Service regarding a sudden death in a room on the 21st floor of the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel at 1038 Canada Place in downtown Vancouver.
Police attended within minutes of the call and paramedics advised the man in the room was clearly deceased. Coroner’s staff did attend the scene.
The deceased has been identified as 31-year-old actor Cory Monteith, who achieved great fame on the popular TV series Glee.
Before I give further information, on behalf of the Vancouver Police, I want to pass on our condolences to the family, friends, castmates and millions of fans of Mr. Monteith. As was the case in countless homes, I watched Glee regularly with my daughters and I know there will be shock and sadness in many households with the news of his tragic death.
Mr. Monteith checked into the hotel on July 6th and was due to check out of the room today. There were others with Mr. Monteith in his room earlier last night, but video and fob key entries show him returning to his room by himself in the early morning hours and we believe he was alone when he died.
When he missed his check-out time, staff went to the room at noon and found his body.
We know there will be considerable interest in this case, and we had detectives assigned to the case who attended with our Forensic Identification Unit to examine the scene, to ensure to the extent possible that there are no unanswered questions.
Hotel video has been secured as well as room access records. Our investigators have spoken with hotel staff, who are providing the utmost in cooperation.
The Coroner will be determining the next steps with respect to establishing cause of death, but all indications are that there was no foul play.
Related on HuffPost:
Cory Monteith and Lea Michele attend the 2012 Do Something awards on Sunday, Aug. 19, 2012 in Santa Monica, Calif.
'Glee' stars Cory Monteith and Lea Michele watch Game One of the Western Conference Quarterfinals between the San Jose Sharks and the Vancouver Canucks during the 2013 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Rogers Arena on May 1, 2013 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
'Glee' actor Cory Monteith poses with Vancouver Canucks mascot, Fin.
Actors Lea Michele, left, and Cory Monteith arrive at the 19th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles on Sunday, Jan. 27, 2013.
Actor Cory Monteith arrives at the 12th Annual Chrysalis Butterfly Ball on June 8, 2013 in Los Angeles, California.
Cory Monteith and Leah Michele attend the NHL game between the Vancouver Canucks and the Los Angeles Kings at Staples Center on March 23, 2013 in Los Angeles, California. The Canucks defeated the Kings 1-0.
NEXT: Celebrities Who Have Battled Addiction
Robert Downey Jr.
After years of struggling with cocaine and heroin addiction and serving jail time, the actor is clean and sober.
In February 2011 Charlie Sheen claimed he was clean of drugs and alcohol, but high on himself. The actor has publicity struggled with addiction for years, but many doubt his claims of sobriety.
The comedian overcame a cocaine addiction, but headed back to rehab after 20 years of sobriety in 2006 to address his issues with alcohol.
Drew was famously an addict as a child. By her own admission she said she had her first drink at 9, began smoking marijuana at 10 and began using cocaine at 12. By age 13 she entered rehab and has maintained her sobriety since.
An accidental overdose of prescription medication killed the actor on Jan. 22, 2008.
Singer Amy Winehouse was found dead in her London home on July 23, 2011. The 27-year-old singer's life was cut short due to accidental alcohol poisoning. <em>CORRECTION: In an earlier version of this slideshow, the date Ms. Winehouse died was incorrect. She died on July 23, 2011.</em>
The Black Eyed Peas singer kicked a crystal meth and ecstasy habit.
The 25-year-old actress has spent the last five years in and out of rehab and still stuggles to stay sober today.
NEXT: Canadian Celebrities
Michael J. Fox