Const. Anie Lemieux said the injuries suffered by the 72-year-old man after a 20-hour standoff with police were not life-threatening.
"His life is not in danger," she said. "As soon as investigators can, they will meet with him."
Detectives searched his house on a tree-lined, residential street during the day and were seen carrying out a number of weapons although police could not immediately say how many had been seized.
"They have a lot of work to do," Lemieux said of investigators.
No decision has so far been made on charges.
Lemieux said police were aware the man had guns in his house as they responded to complaints e had threatened workers on his lawn.
Lemieux said police had checked a database that logs licensed weapons.
Although the federal gun registry, a frequently used tool by police, has been mainly dismantled, Canadians still have to license their guns.
In most provinces, that's done through the RCMP, while in Quebec it's handled by provincial police.
Police had surrounded the house for most of Tuesday and into the early hours of Wednesday before taking action. They had called out to the man by bullhorn and threw a cellphone onto his porch to try and speak to him.
At about 8 a.m., an armoured car provided by Quebec provincial police battered down the door.
Montreal police Sgt. Laurent Gingras said city police tactical squad officers then entered the home and shot the man with two rubber bullets.
The officers then placed him under arrest.
The man was evaluated by paramedics and taken to hospital where he underwent a fuller examination.
Montreal police said Tuesday an officer was slightly injured by what may have been a ricocheted bullet during the standoff. They said the SWAT team member was struck in the foot by an object while a gunshot sound emanated from the house.
Lemieux said the officer's injury was minor and he was able to participate in the police operation.Suggest a correction