Pierre Brochet, a deputy chief with the SPVM, was named Wednesday as the successor to Jean-Pierre Gariépy, who announced his retirement earlier this year.
The announcement was made by the Commission municipale du Québec, which currently has trusteeship over the beleaguered city.
Brochet has served as operations chief for the Montreal service since 2010, responsible for investigations and emergency communication.
"He is a candidate of exceptional value who will lead the organization toward a service that is improved, more efficient and continually adapting to the changing needs of an evolving urban centre,” said Florent Gagné, the provincially appointed supervisor for Laval and a former head of the Sûreté du Québec.
Gariépy initially said he would retire at the end of 2013, but he will now leave his post at the end of August. He has denied any knowledge of corruption allegations among high-ranking Laval politicians and city staff, some of which led to arrests on criminal charges in May.
The call for candidates for the new chief was overseen by an outside firm, and the process included interviews by a selection committee struck by the Commission municipale.