A statement issued Monday from Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit says the actions of Const. James Forcillo in the downtown Toronto incident this summer justify a charge of second-degree murder.
Forcillo, the officer who fired the shots, had been suspended from duty during the investigation.
Yatim was on a streetcar stopped on Dundas Street West, near Bellwoods Avenue, when he was shot dead in the early minutes of July 27.
Witnesses have said that Yatim was holding a knife while inside the streetcar.
The shooting was recorded on video by several sources. Footage posted online has been viewed hundreds of thousands of times.
The 18-year-old's death shocked many Toronto residents, and prompted a protest march days attended by hundreds of people.
Also on HuffPost