NEWS

Boy rescued from burning RV in surgery Friday

08/30/2013 07:11 EDT | Updated 10/30/2013 05:12 EDT
The eight-year-old boy who was pulled from a burning a motorhome Oliver, B.C., earlier this week is undergoing a second surgery today, his grandmother has told CBC News.

On Wednesday, Cody O'Conner suffered burns to 40 per cent of his body after a fire broke out in a motorhome he was inside.

The local fire chief, hailed a hero by some, was off-duty when he smelled the smoke. He ran over to help, broke a window in the back of the RV and pulled the unconscious boy out.

O'Conner was immediately handed over to paramedics, and then transported by air to hospital in Vancouver.

The boy's grandmother, Pearl De Prez, says he was treated for smoke inhalation and had surgery on his arm yesterday. He was in surgery again today so that doctors could try to remove a piece of glass from his lung.

De Prez says she is sick with worry.

"Very concerned, I mean, sad — that he's going to have to go through a whole lot of things. And these surgeries are just the beginning... He's going to have lots of plastic surgeries and grafts," she said.

O'Conner is at the burn unit at B.C. Children's Hospital, and is likely to remain in intensive care until at least Monday. De Prez says she is anxiously waiting by the phone, hoping to hear good news.

"You just have to keep on doing what you are doing. And you have to be patient, and you worry. But what can you do?" De she said.

De Prez says her grandson was looking forward to starting school again next week, but a return to school is now a long way off.

MORE:cbcNews