LIVING

Cronut Burger Food Poisoning: Maple Bacon Jam Wasn't Refrigerated Properly

09/06/2013 01:39 EDT | Updated 09/06/2013 04:28 EDT
Facebook/EPIC Burgers

Toronto Public Health (TPH) has narrowed down inadequate refrigeration of the maple bacon jam found on the cronut burger as the cause of food borne illnesses that affected 87 people at the Canadian National Exhibition.

"Inadequate refrigeration before serving to the customer would have allowed the bacteria to grow and produce the toxin that led to illness," according to TPH.

In August, public health officials investigated 250 individuals who reported food borne illness symptoms after eating at the CNE. At least 90 people experienced symptoms consistent with staphylococcus aureus or staph aureus and 87 of them ate the cronut burger.

Officials say the sugar and maple syrup in the maple bacon jam supplied by Toronto's Le Dolci (and sold at the Ex's Epic Burger and Waffles) were both negative for staph aureus and toxins, while the bacon was positive for staph aureus.

The food borne illness, is a type of bacteria often found on skin, hair, noses and throats of people and animals. If consumed, the bacteria can cause everything from an upset stomach to more serious symptoms like diarrhea, fever, vomiting, abdominal cramps and dehydration.

Earlier this week, Le Dolci reopened their doors after closing voluntarily. The company, and Epic Burgers, also released statements on their Facebook pages at the end of the investigation.

TPH says they will continue to routinely monitor Le Dolci to ensure food safety requirements.

Also on HuffPost

2013 CNE 'Food'