POLITICS

Harper Says Ottawa Will Help Expand Toronto's Subway System

09/22/2013 04:18 EDT | Updated 11/22/2013 05:12 EST
CP

The federal government will contribute $660 million to help extend Toronto’s Bloor-Danforth subway line in the east-end neighbourhood of Scarborough, federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty announced this morning.

“You have our money, let’s get this subway built,” Flaherty said.

Flaherty says the money is a "done deal" and comes at the request of Toronto Mayor Rob Ford and city council.

Ford applauded the funding pledge, saying it would lead to an improved subway that would benefit residents throughout the Greater Toronto Area and is what Toronto residents want.

“We have brought all three levels of government together on this historic project,” said Ford. “Together we are building transit that will last well over 100 years.”

A map at Flaherty's announcement shows a proposed three-stop subway that would extend the Bloor-Danforth subway line from Kennedy station up to Sheppard. That would be longer than the two-stop plan announced by the province earlier this month.

The money will help fill a funding gap for the project that has existed since the summer, when city council opted to switch from a fully-funded light-rail line along the route to the more expensive subway option.

Premier Kathleen Wynne said earlier Monday that she didn't think the federal government would have come to the table if the province hadn't made its $1.4-billion commitment.

But she said the "disconcerting part" is that the federal money isn't part of a broader transit strategy.

Also on HuffPost

Toronto Flooding