News that Ottawa would contribute came yesterday, with Prime Minister Stephen Harper saying the announcement will be “good news for Toronto commuters who obviously continue to face the challenges of gridlock.”
Harper was not available to answer questions about specifics of the plan on Sunday.
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford applauded the funding pledge and said the subway will benefit residents throughout the Greater Toronto Area.
"This is what the people want and the federal government has delivered. It's going to create thousands of jobs and this is exactly what the doctor ordered," Ford added.
News of Ottawa’s participation adds another wrinkle to the ongoing Scarborough subway saga.
Earlier this summer, Toronto City Council voted in favour of extending the Bloor-Danforth line beyond Kennedy Station, replacing a plan to build a light-rail line along the route currently served by the aging Scarborough RT.
Council opted for the more-expensive subway plan despite a funding gap estimated to be between $500 million and $700 million. At the time, Ford said he was confident that higher levels of government would contribute.
Then last month, the province offered $1.4 billion for a shorter expansion that would stop short of Sheppard Avenue.
A map shown at yesterday’s announcement with suggests the subway will now extend to Sheppard.