Flanked by Helen Fotopulos, Sébastien Dhavernas and Manon Gauthier, Coderre promised on Thursday to pull out all the stops for Montreal’s 375th birthday celebrations in 2017.
That year will be equally important for other reasons — it’s the 150th anniversary of the Canadian Confederation and the 50th anniversary of Expo ‘67.
Without giving too many details on the planned grandeur of the 2017 celebrations, Coderre hinted that it would involve sustainable infrastructure projects that will help commemorate those anniversaries.
He also addressed the future of the Champlain Bridge, which he said should be subject to an architecture contest.
The Coderre cultural platform, in brief:
- Enhance and increase the civic participation of various communities in the cultural life of Montreal by building on the ferment of cultural neighbourhoods, ensuring access to, retention, as well as the development of new initiatives of cultural mediation to forge together Montreal culture and strengthen our identity.
- Develop an action plan and collaborative and inclusive cultural policies adapted to the realities and needs of each district and the city centre.
- Enhance the network of cultural centres; ensure the development in the library network and the Access Culture network of a range of services and programming representative of resident populations and new technologies, while ensuring equitable access and service across the territory.
- Encourage the promotion and adoption of United Nations Agenda 21 for culture by all citizens, including the principles of participation, transparency, diversity and inclusion.
It also released three objectives of its cultural platform:
- Act as a catalyst and show leadership to bring together the strengths of the cultural milieu, to create effective synergy between our artists, our institutions and the city’s economic and public policy makers.
- Provide leadership that stimulates all the actors of the cultural community and all citizens and allows the emergence and implementation of projects that contribute to the achievement of the goal: Montreal, Cultural Metropolis.
- Ensure that Montreal gets the recognition and influence due to it as a global epicenter of creativity, innovation, and artistic and cultural diffusion.Suggest a correction