ALBERTA

Judge fines owners of Calgary hotel $30,000 for breaking fire code

10/08/2013 06:15 EDT | Updated 12/08/2013 05:12 EST
CALGARY - A judge has fined a Calgary hotel for fire code violations that put people's lives at risk.

The owners of the Shamrock Hotel must pay $30,000.

The Fire Department says it pursued the charges because people who were in the downtown hotel couldn't access fire escapes when flames broke out in the building in August 2012.

Fire doors in the hotel could also not be closed, allowing smoke to fill the corridors.

Eleven people were in the hotel at the time and three people were treated in hospital for smoke inhalation.

Fire Marshal Ed Kujat says people could die if an owner tampers with or disables a building's safety features.

MORE:Albertacp