Lethbridge police issued a news release Wednesday saying they are satisfied Michael Sean Stanley, 48, is no longer in their area.
Stanley has been the subject of a Canada-wide search since cutting off his electronic monitoring bracelet on Oct. 1 in Lloydminster, on the Alberta-Saskatchewan boundary.
Stanley has a long history of sexual offences against women and children.
Last week, schools in several west-central Saskatchewan communities locked their doors and kept children inside after Mounties got multiple, unconfirmed sightings of the Edmonton man.
A few days later, police in Lethbridge found Stanley's SUV and started warning people to be safe and wary, though schools were not ordered locked down.
Stanley has friends and family in Lethbridge, some of whom contacted police and urged Stanley to give himself up.
Lethbridge police said in their release there is always a chance he could come back.
"Stanley currently poses no risk of harm to the local community, however, until he is apprehended it is possible, but unlikely, that he could return," said the release.
"Residents are asked to be aware and police will continue to update the public as necessary."
Stanley was released from jail in April 2011 after completing a 32-month sentence for assault and forcible confinement.
A release issued by police at that time said Stanley was considered to be "an untreated violent and sexual offender who poses a risk of significant harm to the community.''
Stanley was being monitored by police under a peace bond, which authorities can get to impose conditions on individuals in the community. His peace bond has 20 conditions, including one ordering him to stay away from children.
Also on HuffPost