NEWS

3 people, pets rescued from Bloor-Lansdowne fire

10/17/2013 06:54 EDT | Updated 12/17/2013 05:12 EST
A woman was sent to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation and a number of pets were rescued from a house fire in the Bloor and Lansdowne area early Thursday.

It happened at a home on St. Helens Avenue at around 1 a.m.

Three people and a number of pets — including cats, turtles, gerbils and birds — were rescued from the home, though firefighters were unable to save several other animals inside.

It's believed the fire was started by a candle.

There were several fire alarms in the home, but none were working.

MORE:cbcNews