BRITISH COLUMBIA

Accused Kamloops man admits to reduced charge in slaying of friend

10/31/2013 10:51 EDT | Updated 01/23/2014 06:58 EST
KAMLOOPS, B.C. - An accused man has pleaded guilty to manslaughter after hearing testimony during the first three days of his second degree murder trial in Kamloops, B.C.

Thirty-year-old Torbin Alec admitted to the lesser charge in the stabbing death of his friend, 29-year-old Jesse Seymour.

Court had earlier heard that the two men were at a house party last summer when they had a disagreement about a girl and Seymour was stabbed six times, twice in the heart.

Alec's lawyer, Jeremy Jensen, says evidence from two key witnesses over the first few days of the trial, plus testimony yet to come, prompted Alec to realize a guilty plea to manslaughter was the best choice.

Jensen says a report on appropriate sentences will now be compiled and he says it will include information about Alec's aboriginal background.

Alec is expected to return to court on Nov. 30 to set a date for sentencing. (CHNL)

Note to readers: This is a corrected version. The original version used the word trial in the last sentence.