NEWS

'Sober' drunk-driving killer denied parole

11/13/2013 10:01 EST | Updated 01/23/2014 06:58 EST
A Surrey woman serving a three-year sentence for killing another woman while driving drunk in May 2011 was denied parole on Wednesday.

Natasha Warren, now 36, struck Kassandra Kaulius, 22, as she drove home from a softball practice, and then fled the scene.

Warren was later found by police hiding in bushes with a blood alcohol level more than twice the legal limit for driving.

On Wednesday, she applied for parole after 10 months in jail, telling the Parole Board of Canada that she has committed herself to a life of sobriety.

Warren also said she would never drive again and that she has taken every course she could to better herself while behind bars.

However, the parole board concluded Warren lacks insight into her behaviour, and that she still poses an undue risk to the public.

A bottle and a half of wine

During Warren's trial last year, it was revealed that she was travelling at 103 km/h when she collided with Kaulius and had consumed more than a bottle of wine before getting behind the wheel.

Additionally, Warren called her boyfriend rather than police after the accident, who told her keep the keys from the van and flee and to report the van stolen.

Warren eventually pleaded guilty to dangerous driving causing death, failing to stay at the scene and driving with a blood alcohol level higher than 0.08.

The Kaulius family has been very vocal in their opposition to Warren's application for parole. Markita Kaulius, Kassandra's mother, was at the parole hearing on Wednesday.

"We are really pleased she is being held accountable by the parole board. It is really the first time in three years that, as a family, we feel that the justice system actually listened to the victim's family and did the right thing," said Markita.

Warren said little after her application was officially denied, but the parole board said she can re-apply in one year. Her statutory release date is set for January 2015.

MORE:cbcNews