NEWS

Rob Ford holds on as mayor despite new allegations

11/14/2013 07:43 EST | Updated 01/23/2014 06:58 EST
It's clear now, amid more damning allegations and public embarrassment, that Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has no intentions of relinquishing his post.

City council must decide how to continue operating after Wednesday's dramatic pleas from councillors for the mayor to seek treatment for alleged substance abuse.

He faces yet another challenging day at City Hall on Thursday following the release of more police documents alleging disturbing details about the mayor's erratic behaviour. 

Ford, however, has repeatedly refused to step aside, even after admitting last week that he had smoked crack cocaine about a year ago possibly while drunk..

"I can't change the past," he said in council Wednesday. "All I can do is move on and that's what I'm doing."

But apologies are not enough, according to Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly, who says Ford has lost the "moral authority" to lead. 

"It's not enough because it doesn't address the major issues in his life and the life of this council," Kelly said Thursday morning on CBC's Metro Morning. 

"He must take a leave of absence in order to rehabilitate himself." 

Ford has also repeatedly denied having a drug or alcohol problem.

The latest allegations contained in the new parts of the police report released Wednesday have not been proven in court. They come from police interviews with Ford staffers that were blacked out when the Alexander Lisi search warrant information was first made public on Oct. 30. 

Lisi, also known as Sandro and Alessandro, is known as Ford's friend and occasional driver. He's now facing drug charges and an extortion charge.

Special meeting set

According to portions of the police report released Wednesday, the mayor was allegedly involved with a suspected prostitute and allegedly tussled physically with his staff. 

Ford still chairs the powerful executive committee, but a special meeting is set for Friday, in which his council colleagues will decide whether to strip Ford of his power to appoint and fire committee chairs.

Coun. John Filion will also move to strip Ford of his emergency powers and pass them to the deputy mayor, Norm Kelly.

"The mayor does not appear to be in a state to be able to deal with an emergency right now," Filion said.

Even so, Ford will not be silenced nor will he be sidelined, pointed out Coun. Anthony Perruzza.

"He continues to be the chief magistrate of the city; he continues to have signing powers," he said.

Meanwhile, Ford is mostly isolated at city hall, as calls for his resignation continue to grow.

MORE:cbcNews