The riding became vacant when Bob Rae announced he was stepping down earlier this year.
The Elections Canada website indicates that there are 11 candidates seeking to become the next MP in Toronto Centre.
In alphabetical order, those candidates are:- Dorian Baxter of the Progressive Canadian Party
- Leslie Bory, as an independent candidate
- Kevin Clarke, as an independent candidate
- John Deverell of the Green Party of Canada
- Judi Falardeau of the Libertarian Party of Canada
- Chrystia Freeland of the Liberal Party of Canada
- Linda McQuaig of the New Democratic Party
- Michael Nicula of the Online Party of Canada
- Geoff Pollock of the Conservative Party of Canada
- John Turmel, as an independent candidate
- Bahman Yazdanfar, as an independent candidate
The polls opened at 9:30 a.m. and are set to close at 9:30 p.m. ET.
According to the Elections Canada website, there are more than 90,000 electors living in Toronto Centre.
The federal byelection in Toronto is one of four taking place today. The others are in the Quebec riding of Bourassa, as well as in the Manitoba ridings of Brandon-Souris and Provencher.Suggest a correction