The OLG announced Tuesday morning that Kathryn Jones is “one step closer” to claiming the outstanding $50-million jackpot from a Lotto Max draw on Nov. 30, 2012.
"The case of this outstanding $50 million Lotto Max jackpot is one of the most unique in OLG's history," said Rod Phillips, OLG's President and CEO. "I am pleased that we are one step closer to awarding this multi-million dollar prize."
Jones, who is from Hamilton, bought her ticket last year at a Shoppers Drug Mart on Dundas Street in Cambridge, where she works as an engineer. But she lost the ticket, and so had to follow an extensive lost ticket prize claim process to be verified as the real winner.
“You try to brace yourself for ‘maybe this isn’t going to happen,’” Jones said during an OLG press conference on Tuesday morning.
A host of surveillance tools were used to determine Jones was the winner, including surveillance video at the store, a lengthy interview process, and proof of credit card purchase at the exact time and place where the $16 winning ticket was sold.
"By using our extensive investigative resources, we conducted a comprehensive prize claim review and collected indisputable proof to determine Ms. Jones as the identified winner," explained Mr. Phillips.
But there was another snag: during the OLG’s interviews, Jones mentioned that her sister owns a retail outlet in the Ottawa area that sells OLG lottery tickets.
Even though the winning ticket wasn’t bought at the Ottawa area store but in Cambridge, this information triggered an additional review of her claim by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario.
The review finished Thursday, and there are no issues preventing a prize payout, the OLG says. The OLG’s police is to hold the prize for a minimum of 30 days to publicize Jones’ claim to the cash. If no one else comes forward claiming it, it’s hers.
"I am still in shock and very grateful OLG approached me regarding the outstanding $50 million prize," said Ms. Jones. "I completely respect OLG's rules and processes. I now anxiously anticipate the end of the wait period."
The OLG received over 435 inquiries regarding the $50-million jackpot since the draw back in 2012.