“At first sight, it seems strongly probable that it was mould, which may have developed in the juice. The good news in this case is the risk to your daughter’s health was very low,” said City of Montreal food inspector Daniel Daigle in an email to Azia’s mother, Nancy Iannantuono.
The city is awaiting a final confirmation from its lab, but Iannantuono says so far, she is overcome with relief.
“I’m very glad to know he thinks it’s just mould, and hopefully that’s what [the final results] will say,” Iannantuono told CBC.
“It would be a big weight off my shoulders to hear that’s what it was.”
Juice factory to be inspected
According to the e-mail Iannantuono, federal food inspectors will pay a visit to the Lassonde plant in Rougemont, Que. where Oasis juice is packaged.
“Federal inspection services were informed of the situation and will handle an investigation of the factory where the juice comes from,” the email said.
Iannantuono says she’s satisfied with this measure.
“I think that’s fabulous — absolutely fabulous. Quality assurance is very important,” Iannantuono said.
“I know it’s a big corporation, and I'm sure they’re doing things by the book, but everyone needs to have an inspection now and then. I’m very, very glad about that.”
When CBC first broke the story last week, a spokesman for Lassonde said this was the only complaint brought to its attention.
“Because it was the only issue that has been reported, we believe it's isolated,” Stefano Bertolli, vice-president of communications for Lassonde, said.
Since the story was posted, CBC News has received several comments from the public, sharing their own stories of finding mould in their apparently sealed juice boxes.Suggest a correction