When Angela Allen opened her washing machine on Jan. 27, she was faced with a sight that will haunt her forever.
There, mixed in with some sheets, was the body of her beloved kitten Gus, adopted from the SPCA two months ago, Global News reported.
"I opened the door and I peeled back the first layer of sheets and I [saw] Gus's lifeless leg," the Kelowna woman told the network.
Allen posted her story on Facebook to warn people about the dangers of pets climbing into washing machines and dryers.
I lost my beloved black cat by carelessly throwing in my sheets to the front end loader washing machine. Without thinking to check the machine (door is always left open to air) or sheets, I started the wash load and continued on with my chores elsewhere in the house. It was not until I noticed my beloved Gus was not at my feet purring as usual, that we started to search for him. My gut intuitively knew to check...the cleaned cycle.
"It could have happened to anyone," one commenter said.
Also on HuffPost