Environment Canada has issued snowfall warnings for much of the island — including Campbell River, Comox, Courtenay and Nanaimo — where up to 15 centimetres is expected to fall.
The following schools have already announced closures due to weather conditions:- Cowichan Valley District 79 is closed
- Gulf Islands District 64 is closed
- Comox Valley District 71 is closed
- Campbell River District 72 is closed
- Nanaimo-Ladysmith District 68 (Pro-D day activities cancelled)
- Qualicum District 69 is open, but bus service is cancelled
- Discover Montessori campuses in Nanaimo and Parksville are closed
- Vancouver Island University campuses are closed
Power outages caused by snow
Poor weather conditions left thousands of Vancouver Island residents without power Monday morning as well.
More than 10,000 people experienced outages. The hardest hit areas include Campbell River, Duncan, the Malahat and west shore, Pender Island, Salt Spring Island, and Saturna Island.
BC Hydro expects to have most lights back on by 9 a.m. PT, though it could be noon for smaller islands.
Check BC Hydro's website for further updates.