NEWS

Inquest called into CO leak at Saskatchewan seniors home that left three dead

02/24/2014 12:31 EST | Updated 04/26/2014 05:59 EDT
REGINA - A public inquest is to be held into the deaths of three people after a carbon monoxide leak at a seniors home in Saskatchewan.

The provincial government says the week-long inquest into what happened at St. Mary's Villa in Humboldt in December 2010 is to begin Monday in Humboldt.

Staff initially thought seniors were getting sick because of a stomach virus or food poisoning.

Workers were getting splitting headaches, but they never thought gas poisoning was a possibility.

There were no carbon monoxide detectors in the home.

An 89-year-old priest died an hour after an evacuation of the home began and two other elderly women died in the weeks that followed.

An inquest looks at the events surrounding a death and a coroner's jury can make recommendations to prevent similar deaths.

MORE:cpNews