NEWS

Canada Job Grant deal reached with Quebec, says Jason Kenney

03/04/2014 03:11 EST | Updated 05/04/2014 05:59 EDT
Quebec has joined all other provinces and territories in a tentative agreement with the federal government on the Canada Job Grant, Employment Minister Jason Kenney said today in the House of Commons.

Kenney made the announcement in question period. The news follows his announcement last Friday that 12 provinces and territories had negotiated a tentative agreement with the federal government about the skills training money.

"And so, Mr. Speaker, we will proceed with the Canada Job Grant," Kenney said.

Last week, B.C.'s minister of jobs, tourism, and skills told CBC News that an agreement in principle over the grant was made possible because Ottawa's final offer was notably different from the take it or leave it grant sprung on the provinces during last year's federal budget.

"The government's final offer is significantly different from the unilateral announcement the government made without consultation in last year's federal budget," Shirley Bond said in an interview Friday afternoon.​

MORE:cbcNews