POLITICS

Dozens exposed to contaminant at Ottawa hotel pool: fire official

03/08/2014 09:10 EST | Updated 05/08/2014 05:59 EDT
OTTAWA - Firefighters say dozens of people were exposed to an abrasive contaminant in a west-end Ottawa hotel but no one is seriously hurt.

Emergency crews, including a hazardous materials team, were called to the Travelodge on Carling Avenue (near Kirkwood Avenue) around 7:30 p.m.

Ottawa Fire spokesman Marc Messier says 40 hotel guests — most of them children — showed symptoms consistent with chlorine exposure.

But he says so far, no one has needed hospitalization.

Messier says staff were treating the hotel's pool and set off a chemical reaction.

He says the area is ventilated and chlorine levels appear normal.

"We're basically sending all the guests back up to their rooms to shower, then they'll come back down and they'll get reassessed by paramedics, just to make sure that everything's normal," he said.

(CFRA)