TRAVEL

54 People Inhale Chlorine At Ottawa Hotel Pool, 3 In Hospital

03/09/2014 10:05 EDT | Updated 05/09/2014 05:59 EDT
Ottawa paramedics say they treated 54 people, mostly children, and took three people to hospital after a large group inhaled chlorine from a hotel pool.

Firefighters, paramedics and police responded to the Travelodge hotel at 1376 Carling Ave. at about 7:30 p.m. Saturday after people were exposed to chlorine.

Paramedics said a large group of children were in Ottawa for a swimming event and they were staying at the hotel. But while in the pool, children and adults inhaled chlorine.

Paramedics said they responded because many people were vomiting and suffered from a shortness of breath. Of the 54 people treated, only a trio was forced to go to hospital. They arrived in stable condition.

An Ottawa Fire hazardous materials crew also responded to the pool for an “abrasive contaminant” and later determined it was chlorine.