NEWS

Anjou apartment fire injures girl, 12, and man in 40s

03/10/2014 07:12 EDT | Updated 05/10/2014 05:59 EDT
A 12-year-old girl and a man in his 40s were injured in a fire overnight in Anjou.

The fire started around 12:45 a.m. ET Monday in an apartment building near the intersection of Sherbrooke and Des Ormeaux streets in Montreal's east end.

“An important fact to mention is that there were no smoke detectors in any of the apartments involved,” said Pierre Blanchette, the division fire chief on the scene.

The fire began in the kitchen of the main floor apartment and spread to two other apartments.

The man is in critical condition after suffering burns and smoke inhalation.

The girl was also taken to hospital for observation, where she is being treated for smoke inhalation.

Blanchette said the adjacent building was also not equipped with functioning smoke detectors.

“The smoke detector really saves lives. This winter we’ve had a number of deaths because of lack of smoke detector,” he said.

MORE:cbcNews