NEWS

Burns Lake sawmill deaths: B.C. coronor's update expected

03/10/2014 12:34 EDT | Updated 05/10/2014 05:59 EDT
B.C. Chief Coroner Lisa Lapointe has scheduled a news conference Monday morning on the inquest into the deaths of two workers in the January 2012 explosion at the Burns Lake sawmill.

Carl Charlie and Robert Luggi died in the explosion and fire

A WorkSafeBC investigation into the tragedy found the sawmill fire could have been prevented if mill management had dealt with the accumulation of wood dust and the poor condition of some of the electrical equipment.

Last week, Premier Christy Clark ruled out the public inquiry the families had been demanding. 

Clark told the legislature that WorkSafeBC and a subsequent government probe have already identified the issues that need addressing and come up with recommendations.

She says her government is busy implementing those recommendations.

Read: Statement by victims' families following decision not to lay charges in sawmill explosion

MORE:cbcNews