BRITISH COLUMBIA

B.C. dog's appetite for adventure a little too rocky

03/13/2014 03:35 EDT | Updated 05/13/2014 05:59 EDT
KAMLOOPS, B.C. - Sometimes, having an appetite for adventure doesn't go down so well.

Rocky, a curious puppy, learned that lesson the hard way.

Rocky's appetite led him to emergency surgery, after the animal chowed down a stomach full of rocks and plastic.

The pup is now recuperating at the Kamloops branch of the British Columbia SPCA.

An X-ray done before the surgery shows the 2.5 month old Labrador, pit bull-cross managed to swallow a lot more than he could manage and needed extensive — and expensive — surgery to survive his gastronomic gaffe.

Born on Christmas Day, Rocky was recently surrendered to the Kamloops SPCA shelter.

"Rocky's inquisitive nature led him to somehow swallow a piece of plastic that appears to be from a chair leg, as well as some rocks," said SPCA branch manager Charleen Holloway.

"He's such a playful, energetic, mischievous little guy. And he's cute as well as resilient. It was touch and go during the surgery, but he pulled through and is recovering well."

The surgery and related care is estimated to cost between $1,500 and $2,500.

Now in foster care while he recuperates, Rocky will take approximately six weeks to recover before he'll need a new home.

(Kamloops This Week)