POLITICS
04/03/2014 11:05 EDT | Updated 06/03/2014 05:59 EDT

Rob Ford Investigation By Police At A Standstill

The investigation into Toronto Mayor Rob Ford and the so-called crack video is in a holding pattern, and will only proceed if new evidence is brought forward, according to the Ontario Provincial Police.

Sgt. Pierre Chamberland told CBC News on Thursday that the provincial force, which took over oversight of Project Brazen 2 earlier this month, is not receiving new evidence on the case.

"Since there's no new information or evidence that has been provided to the OPP ... there is nothing for us to do at this point other than to wait and see whether or not any new information is put forward," said Chamberland.

"If any new information comes forward … we'll assign it to a major case manager."

The Toronto police investigation into Ford's activities began last year after media reported about a tape that appears to show the mayor smoking crack cocaine.

The mayor's friend and occasional driver, Alexander (also known as Sandro) Lisi is facing an extortion charge for what police have described as "extortive" actions in trying to acquire the video.

The Toronto police investigation surrounding the affair prompted Ford — and his brother, Coun. Doug Ford — to criticize police Chief Bill Blair. The brothers also described the investigation as politically motivated and a waste of taxpayers' money.

In a move to mitigate those criticisms, Blair handed oversight role of the investigation over to the OPP earlier this month.

At the time, a Toronto police spokesman said the investigators will continue their work.

Also on HuffPost

Police Surveillance Of Rob Ford