ALBERTA
05/23/2014 10:54 EDT | Updated 07/23/2014 05:59 EDT

Dogs dead after chowing down on poisoned treat in Calgary backyard

CALGARY - Police are investigating after two of a Calgary family's three dogs had to be put down from eating chunks of sausage laced with anti-freeze.

The three pets were let out Tuesday evening to relieve themselves in the backyard of a southwest-area home, but one of them became violently ill when it came back inside.

A second dog also became sick, but the third canine is recovering.

A veterinarian determined the animals had eaten poisoned sausage.

City Animal Services staff and the Calgary Humane Society are helping with the police investigation.

People in the area are being urged to keep a close watch on their pets. (CHQR)

MORE:Albertacp