ALBERTA

Driver in crash that killed four high school football players gets full parole

06/04/2014 02:39 EDT | Updated 06/16/2017 00:59 EDT
EDMONTON - A driver who caused a crash that killed four high school football players in northern Alberta has been granted full parole.

The Parole Board of Canada says Brenden Holubowich (Hall-ah-BAH'-vitch) is to be released June 15.

Holubowich, who is 24, has been on day parole since last fall.

He was sentenced to three years in February 2013 after pleading guilty to dangerous driving causing death and dangerous driving causing bodily harm.

His pickup truck crashed into a car carrying five members of the Warriors football team from Grande Prairie Composite High School in 2011.

A fifth player was pulled from the wreckage and survived.

Court heard Holubowich had been drinking and was driving as fast as 151 km/h on the way home to the nearby town of Wembley. The football players had just left a party outside Grande Prairie and pulled off the highway to make a U-turn. Their car was struck as it straddled the centre line.

Holubowich never stopped to see if the boys were OK or to call 911. He ran on foot to his workplace, an oilfield transportation company, where RCMP found him an hour later.

Walter Borden-Wilkins and Tanner Hildebrand, both 15, and Matthew Deller and Vince Stover, both 16, were killed.

Zach Judd, who was 15 at the time, suffered a severe brain injury but re-learned how to walk and talk.

The judge who sentenced Holubowich said he struggled to decide a fair punishment for the crime that devastated the community. In addition to prison time, he ordered Holubowich be banned from driving for three years upon his release.

MORE:Albertacp