Cooper passed away after a brief illness aged 13, VRFS said in a news release Tuesday.
Fire Chief John McKearney noted that Cooper had represented the department admirably throughout his tenure, and that his loss is "significant".
Cooper worked with the department at home and abroad on numerous projects including:
- New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina in 2005
- Assisted the RCMP Major Crimes Unit with numerous investigations, notably the Robert Pickton investigation
- The Missing Women’s Task Force
- Assisted with searches associated with the Highway of Tears
- Assisted the B.C. Coroners Service on numerous occasions